Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Gifts of Love


My family recently took a road trip to the Florida boon docks. On the way, we found a yard sale that had books for 10 cents each. (I spent $2.30 on books.) We also happened upon a koi convention . . . those people were wild about their fish! The purpose of the trip, however, was to plant two letterboxes. I knew when I planted that these two boxes would be destined to be lonely, but rural Florida beckoned.

When I found Kirbert's Waitin' for the Train letterbox in May, I saw the huge gulf sturgeon jumping in the Suwannee River for the first time. I was delighted and amazed. The box I planted on October 6th, Suwannee Sturgeon, was born on that warm day in May. The stamp in the box is not one of my best carves, but it is original, and the box is unique.


Cedar Key, a remote island/fishing village off the Big Bend in Florida, is one of my family's "secret" spots . . . it's a diamond in the rough. I have been set on planting in Cedar Key since I began planting in December of 2006. I am happy to announce that I fulfilled one of my letterboxing goals with the placement of Big Bill on October 7th. In my opinion, the stamp in this box is my best to date.


Why did I plant two of my best boxes in such isolated areas? The answer is simple: the areas deserved them.

No comments: